Yesterday, I was a little worried that I’d get bored today… Boy was I wrong!
The guys had their meetings today with 2 people who have wonderful business plans. The first girl already had her plan written up. She wants to start up a catering business/restaurant. She has already built the building for it and knows exactly what she still needs to get it all up and going. The other guy already owns a brick making factory, but he has run out of money to make the bricks. He also would like to start a transportation business, but he needs to buy a car first.
So already it seems like there is way more money needed than even close to available. It seems that business ideas here require a lot more money than Spencer and Joey have (so far at least). These people really have little or no opportunity to get loans from anywhere. There are banks and loans available in Accra, but it’s 3 hours away on public transportation, and a lot of the companies require weekly payments for first-time borrowers, and they have no way other than traveling to the city to make the payment – which is not very feasible – even if they have a great plan and the ability to pay it back. But I think that Spencer and Joey will really be able to find some great people to help!
Anyway – while the guys were having their meetings, the house was crazy busy with food preparation for our visitors this evening. Stephen Jr., Peggy (another Abu daughter), her husband, Alex, their 2 kids, a girl from Canada and the 2 USU students who are in Accra, Lindsie and Josh, came to visit! We made Fufu (pounded casaba and plantain dough), eggplant soup with dried fish, peanut butter soup with chicken, rice balls and jollof (spanish looking rice - My Favorite!)
All of the food on the table - it was a lot!
So when everyone arrived and we had all eaten, we attended the biggest party I’ve ever been to.
A FUNERAL!
Who would have guessed that one!? It was so cool! It was like a massive community event. EVERYONE came. It went from 1 to 6:30pm today. There were actually 4 people who they were commemorating at the event, which was held at the community square for celebrations and funerals. They just had pictures of each of the deceased persons and the family sitting behind the pictures with a box for donations to the family. Everyone is dressed in black and red.
And that’s about where the mourning stopped
As you drive up all you can here is this POUNDING DANCE MUSIC, and all you see is the crowds of people jamming to the music. The kids are running around and laughing and it really is just like a big party. Every once in a while there is a sort of shout out and they call certain people out to come dance. It’s awesome! They even gave all the “obronis” with “Master Appiahne” (Stephen Sr.) a shout out to come and dance. It was so much fun! When we went out there and actually started dancing the people all started clapping and shouting for us. They were so surprised that we could dance. We kept hearing, “you dance so well!”
Spencer and I made the mistake of walking out to the middle separately, so girls completely surrounded him. Especially one girl, Charity, definitely chose him as her favorite. Even after she found out that I was his wife she still clung to him and kept telling me that he was HER friend. I just couldn’t stop laughing. Mostly because Spencer’s face was unforgettable. The poor kid looked so uncomfortable I almost didn’t want to go save him. I just wish I could have gotten a picture of it! At least I have a picture of him with the girl somewhat close. She's the one who's a little hidden on his left.
Anyway, if you’re looking for a party here in Ghana, just ask for the closest funeral, you’ll never forget it!
No comments:
Post a Comment